Advice On Buying A Gun

sevi

Registered
A question for the gun experts ... I am looking for a gun for self defense (for use inside the house). At the local gun shop they recommended the Bersa Thunder 380 Plus:

http://www.bersa.com.ar/pistola-bersa-thunder-380-plus.html

I am not familiar with Argentinian made guns. Is the Bersa brand any good? Reliable enough? Would you recommend the Thunder 380 Plus?

What's the tramite like in order to get a license to have a gun in the house?

Generally, you need to be over 21, have no antecedentes penales, must be of sound mental and physical health, need to prove that you know WTF you're doing with a gun by getting a certificate from a gun range, need a photo (must not be a mugshot from police records, obviously), must not say to the psychologist "I want to have a gun to shoot any bastard who tries to rob or kill me" because self defense is not one of the legitimate reasons to own a gun in Argentina, need to have legal form of making a living (forget about it if you rob for a living, for example), etc. There might be more but I think I covered most of them.

A question for the gun experts ... I am looking for a gun for self defense (for use inside the house). At the local gun shop they recommended the Bersa Thunder 380 Plus:

http://www.bersa.com...r-380-plus.html

I am not familiar with Argentinian made guns. Is the Bersa brand any good? Reliable enough? Would you recommend the Thunder 380 Plus?

If Argentine made appliances are anything to go by then I'd stay away from Argentine made firearms. I can work with a faulty washing machine that likes to jump around the laundry room when its running, not sure I would want a pistol blowing up in my hand because the barrel was clogged with "yerba".

Bersa makes an OK product. In Argentina you must worry more about the ammo quality. Spend whatever it takes to get good ammo. Then when you visit the states you can return with several boxes of ammo in the checked luggage. Check airline for specifics.

I agree with ghost but I personally prefer a more known brand like S&W, Beretta, Ruger or Glock. (more reliable) Most of those will give you a larger caliber and most likely a larger price tag. If its for concealed carry, the 380 is a good sized pistol but for the house, physical size doesn't really matter, unless your on the other side of it.

Go to a gun shop (armaria). They will tell you everything you need to know and put you in contact with an "instructor" (possibly aka gestor) who will guide you through the process. I recommend the armaria on Cabildo in Belgrano

I believe you must be a permanent resident to get the permit.

That was my first question in the gun shop today. Here is what they told me:

You need

- CLU (Credencial de Legítimo Usario); fee: $1100
+ DNI (from what I understand minimum permanent residence)
+ Medio de Vida Licito (proof of a legit income i.e. Bono de Sueldo, Pago Monotributo, Pago de Ganancias, IVA, Ing. Brutos)
+ Examen Medico
+ Examen Psicológico
+ Averiguación de Antecedentes

- Tenencia y TCCM; fee: $750

They do the tramite in the store (two two hour windows to apply for it each week).

Didn't sound too complicated.

Back