Brazil Travel money exchange and dni?

Has anyone been to Brazil recently? Where should I change money, in Argentina or there.
I have a DNI and I think that will be sufficient to travel but am bringing my Passport as backup.
We will be in Rio for a week, any thoughts? Seeing Madonna on Saturday.
Thanks for any help.
Did you attempt to use your DNI just to see if it was possible? I was having this conversation with a friend today but in reverse - could I use my CRNM (Brazilian Residency Card) to get in to Argentina from BR (I am an expat with permanent residency in BR). I have gone to/from Buenos Aires to Montevideo with my Brazilian CRNM without problems (in 2019), but I have only tried directly from Brazil to Argentina using the CRNM (in 2015 without success because at that time I needed a visa to enter Argentina due to nationality), so I am curious if you were able to do the reverse. Theoretically you should be able to use your DNI without the passport (from what I have read in MERCOSUR legislation), but that may simply be a function of who you get at the border control counter.

Cheers

Did you attempt to use your DNI just to see if it was possible? I was having this conversation with a friend today but in reverse - could I use my CRNM (Brazilian Residency Card) to get in to Argentina from BR (I am an expat with permanent residency in BR). I have gone to/from Buenos Aires to Montevideo with my Brazilian CRNM without problems (in 2019), but I have only tried directly from Brazil to Argentina using the CRNM (in 2015 without success because at that time I needed a visa to enter Argentina due to nationality), so I am curious if you were able to do the reverse. Theoretically you should be able to use your DNI without the passport (from what I have read in MERCOSUR legislation), but that may simply be a function of who you get at the border control counter.

Cheers
Entering another mercosur country using DNI or RNM depends on the nationality on that doc.

Example, if you are from Bangladesh and have DNI or RNM, it may not be used as a international travel document to enter Brazil or Argentina.

Entering another mercosur country using DNI or RNM depends on the nationality on that doc.

Example, if you are from Bangladesh and have DNI or RNM, it may not be used as a international travel document to enter Brazil or Argentina.
Yeah, forgot to add that. I do not need a visa for either BR or AR at the moment so my CRNM is enough. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers
I tried to use my DNI at the airport in Mendoza and they told me it would not work since I am not a citizen of Argentina, I used my passport and my Argentine wife used here DNI. I don't think your DNI will do the deed, certaintly would have my Passport as backup if you were to give it a go.

Cheers

Has anyone been to Brazil recently? Where should I change money, in Argentina or there.
I have a DNI and I think that will be sufficient to travel but am bringing my Passport as backup.
We will be in Rio for a week, any thoughts? Seeing Madonna on Saturday.
Thanks for any help.
I was happy to get 4.9 reals in Brazil. The airport was offering 4.45. I used my USA Mastercard with no foreign transaction fee (no fee from Mastercard) but found out that the places I was using my CC at were changing me a substantial CC transaction fee so I whipped out my Benjarmin's and went all cash.

For instance, if something was 100 reals which would be 20 USD at 5 reals to 1, when I checked my CC I realizedd I was charged 24.02 USD.

For instance, if something was 100 reals which would be 20 USD at 5 reals to 1, when I checked my CC I realizedd I was charged 24.02 USD.
But on your bank statement were you charged 100 reals or more? Because if you were charged 100 reals than it is your bank who was charging you/giving you bad rate and not the restaurant etc.

I think this is way more likely since people mentioned using cards in brazil was super common so it would be surprising if they were charging extra fees.

I have never/ever seen a credit card reference the cost in the native country and their conversion rate. Ever.
CC's reference the date/where transaction was made/cost in dollars.
The business also would not change the price of the item based on my CC,
the banks that transacted my purchases in Brazil charged a foreign transaction fee(and probably a bad conversion rate), my CC company did not but they do not controll the other banks.
To summarize, Cash is King in this situation. IMO

That is pretty much the opposite of my experience in Brazil. I’ve always gotten good rates from my US Visa, Mastercard and AMEX cards there, and I’ve never seen the thing where the local card processor charged a fee.

On the few occasions where there’s a significant PIX discount, then I’ll just look at my wife and ask her to pay, since she has Brazilian accounts, then transfer from my US to her BR accounts later.

Back