Has Buenos Aires declined since 2019?

mrverde

Registered
I have been visiting and sometimes "living" in BA on and off for the past decade. I have done so because it is (or rather, has been) my favorite city in the Americas ever since my first visit over ten years ago. My last stay was in mid-2019 (I left at the end of that year) and I had not been in Argentina since - until this week.

I feel like I am in shock at how run-down the place looks/feels versus the last time I was here.

My question is: Is it me or has this city gone to pieces during the past five years? I am keenly aware of the economic/political situation but it seems like the city has weathered such things in the past much better than it apparently has these past few years.

Any insights are welcome.

Cheers.

I have been visiting and sometimes "living" in BA on and off for the past decade. I have done so because it is (or rather, has been) my favorite city in the Americas ever since my first visit over ten years ago. My last stay was in mid-2019 (I left at the end of that year) and I had not been in Argentina since - until this week.

I feel like I am in shock at how run-down the place looks/feels versus the last time I was here.

My question is: Is it me or has this city gone to pieces during the past five years? I am keenly aware of the economic/political situation but it seems like the city has weathered such things in the past much better than it apparently has these past few years.

Any insights are welcome.

Cheers.

Not just BA or Argentina though is it.

Having traveled through a lot of developing countries, I see a lot of places in South America and Africa backsliding in terms of basic services. Not even a regional thing but a global south phenomenon at this point.

I used to live in Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco and Washington DC. Same true virtually everywhere. Demographics exacerbated by COV lockdowns and income/asset divisions. This only gets worse. Almost everywhere as technology (ai primarily) replaces many low wage jobs (customer service for example). There is no solution.

I think the pandemic changed lots of things. Plus the crazy inflation of the past few months has really taken it's toll on the gastronomy sector, it's amazing how many boarded-up bars and restaurants there are in Palermo right now.

Nailed it.

If one has traveled worldwide in the last 6 months post-pandemic, its apparent BA of 2024 is not the BA of 2019.

This is downtown LA. Seattle worse. SF etc. This is not a CABA-exclusive phenomenon. Beverly Hills is empty, for example. I was there last week.

Having spent considerable time in Los Angeles and being familiar with its economic and social problems,I ask what kind of idiot tourist posts this rubbish? Main Street, you jackass, is not the main street of Los Angeles, but rather the wholesale district and that has had its problems for 50 years. You couldn’t make it to First and the huge Japanese district? Or maybe to Fort Street and the old Chinese district which is so big is now occupies a large part of the San Gabriel Valley. Beverly Hills is not empty and I guess you couldn’t be bothered with West Hollywood, Santa Monica, the South Bay, the Valley. I can see that despite the fact you say you were in Los Angeles, you entirely missed the city. Leave. You blight our streets.

Back