Tourist visa extension denied

Thial

Registered
I entered Argentina in early January and my plan was to leave at the end of June (less than 180days in total) with one visa extension.
I also went on a trip to Uruguay for a week in February and then came back. So my tourist visa got renewed and is still valid until next week.

I went to the migrations office today to renew my visa.
To my surprise my request was denied because I had already been granted a tourist visa renewal in July 2023 (I spent around 4 months here in 2023) and renewals could only be granted once per year. The migrations officer "recommended" me to just overstay and pay the fine before my planned departure.

Was the limiting factor here really my tourist visa extension last year or the fact that I went to Uruguay in February and a 90-day tourist visa extension would theoretically extend my allowed stay to over 180 days in 2024?

To my understanding overstaying on a tourist visa hasn't been a big issue here in the past (given that it was not an outrageous amount of time).
Is anyone aware of any cases where a one-time overstay has led to a denial of re-entry in the future?
I have never violated visa rules in any country and I'm a bit uneasy about doing so.

I think it might be both or either (180 days and/or one renewal per year) Like you, I am careful not to break the rules of the country where I am a guest and when I returned recently, the 90day entry would have pushed me over the limit but the immigration officer seemed satisfied with my assurance that I would only be staying for a short while this time.

Unless it is practical for you to rebook an earlier return flight, I'd heed the advice of the immigration officer and pay the overstay fine on your way out.

Without knowing anything about why you come here and how often, I'd suggest that being very careful not to give even the appearance of trying to flout the rules is the best way to be sure of coming back as a tourist in the future. Please don't laugh (oh, alright, go on then) but I've made myself a little cardboard slide rule thingy on which I can track my comings and goings against the immigration laws.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

This story aligns with my understanding that you can only renew your visa through migraciones once a year. Before I had a DNI, I was told this as well by Migraciones. My understanding is that overstaying and paying the fee upon exit at Ezeiza is not technically breaking a law, it is just making your visa status "irregular" -- not illegal. Migraciones told me this, but a lawyer will know best. Bajocero will know.

While your visa extension denial is one thing, I don't believe that a denial upon entry in the future due to past overstays is very likely. But elhombresinnombre is right. It's a good idea to keep track and the cardboard slide rule thingy sounds smart :)

If you really plan to make Argentina home for a big chunk of each year throughout the rest of your life, going through the process of getting a DNI is a worthwhile consideration for peace of mind.

Thanks! I'll definitely make sure that this doesn't happen again in the future.

I entered Argentina in early January and my plan was to leave at the end of June (less than 180days in total) with one visa extension.
I also went on a trip to Uruguay for a week in February and then came back. So my tourist visa got renewed and is still valid until next week.

I went to the migrations office today to renew my visa.
To my surprise my request was denied because I had already been granted a tourist visa renewal in July 2023 (I spent around 4 months here in 2023) and renewals could only be granted once per year. The migrations officer "recommended" me to just overstay and pay the fine before my planned departure.

Was the limiting factor here really my tourist visa extension last year or the fact that I went to Uruguay in February and a 90-day tourist visa extension would theoretically extend my allowed stay to over 180 days in 2024?

To my understanding overstaying on a tourist visa hasn't been a big issue here in the past (given that it was not an outrageous amount of time).
Is anyone aware of any cases where a one-time overstay has led to a denial of re-entry in the future?
I have never violated visa rules in any country and I'm a bit uneasy about doing so.
The problem is not understanding the legal system. If you overstay you become an inhabitant that is a paperless citizen. Then your replies are very important. You have to say, instead of tourism, that you live here, that you are coming back.

This story aligns with my understanding that you can only renew your visa through migraciones once a year. Before I had a DNI, I was told this as well by Migraciones. My understanding is that overstaying and paying the fee upon exit at Ezeiza is not technically breaking a law, it is just making your visa status "irregular" -- not illegal. Migraciones told me this, but a lawyer will know best. Bajocero will know.

While your visa extension denial is one thing, I don't believe that a denial upon entry in the future due to past overstays is very likely. But elhombresinnombre is right. It's a good idea to keep track and the cardboard slide rule thingy sounds smart :)

If you really plan to make Argentina home for a big chunk of each year throughout the rest of your life, going through the process of getting a DNI is a worthwhile consideration for peace of mind.
It is a bad idea to renew your visa at DNM because you create a file. With a file you can get a deportation order. If they just told you that you cannot renew it, then you are Ok.

It is a bad idea to renew your visa at DNM because you create a file. With a file you can get a deportation order. If they just told you that you cannot renew it, then you are Ok.
Thank you Bajo_cero2 I knew you’d have the answers. Aligned with what I thought - likely reinforced from having read your comments in the past. In my case I never renewed my tourist visa at DNM.

The subject came up when my precaria was expiring or while I was still waiting for a precaria. Don’t recall the details but I had an upcoming trip. DNM advised against visa renewal and told me to just pay the fine on exit. If I remember correctly I either received my precaria or my DNI in time for my trip. It’s been a while.

But either way, glad the advice was correct. Just overstay. The tip to explain that you’re returning because you live here — not for tourism — is great. I’ll share that with friends I know in similar situations as the OP. Thanks again as always!

The problem is not understanding the legal system. If you overstay you become an inhabitant that is a paperless citizen. Then your replies are very important. You have to say, instead of tourism, that you live here, that you are coming back.
So if you have no dni or anything and you overstay, who and when should you be telling that you live here and that you are coming back?

Just confused because until now I thought you just pay the fine when you leave the country and then come back whenever you want later.

So if you have no dni or anything and you overstay, who and when should you be telling that you live here and that you are coming back?

Just confused because until now I thought you just pay the fine when you leave the country and then come back whenever you want later.
You don't/won't have to say anything about "coming back" to migraciones when you leave, even if someone scolds.you for the overstay (possible but not highly likely).

If there is an issue with migraciones when you try to reenter, don't say you are a tourist. Instead, say, as BC_2 indicated, that you "live here" (and) "that you are coming back" (returning) where you live.

If you search for and read the posts by Bajo_cero2 in the thread about pregnant Russian women (among others) you will know why he says this and he won't have to explain it again in this thread

Back