Milei meeting with Elon Musk

Interesting, note that Gerardo Werthein Arg. Ambassador to USA , plays no childish thumb up act. He's a very wealthy businessman,
Interesting, note that Gerardo Werthein Arg. Ambassador to USA , plays no childish thumb up act. He's a very wealthy businessman,
Yes; it is childish and yet this meme became a critical component of his success.....

Werthein -- acts in accordance with our expectations. Also true, without Milei, Werthein NEVER gets a meeting with Musk.

Yes; it is childish and yet this meme became a critical component of his success.....

Werthein -- acts in accordance with our expectations. Also true, without Milei, Werthein NEVER gets a meeting with Musk.

Time will tell.

Guy leading country in dire need of foreign investment curries favor with the world's most dynamic business man. I don't see much to criticize; Milei is doing his job in this meeting.
I mostly agree with you, though describing Musk as "the world's most dynamic business man" is a bit much, considering how he's destroyed value at Xitter, and possibly sunk Tesla with his cybertruck.

But there needs to be a lot of follow through to attract investment. And a lot more than just one high profile meeting. So far I'm not seeing this commitment to hard work from this government. If Milei wants Argentina to be like Ireland he needs to study the IDA (formed in 1949, these things take time and effort). Is Musk actually going to invest in Argentina? Or is he just inviting others to do so?

I mostly agree with you, though describing Musk as "the world's most dynamic business man" is a bit much, considering how he's destroyed value at Xitter, and possibly sunk Tesla with his cybertruck.

But there needs to be a lot of follow through to attract investment. And a lot more than just one high profile meeting. So far I'm not seeing this commitment to hard work from this government. If Milei wants Argentina to be like Ireland he needs to study the IDA (formed in 1949, these things take time and effort). Is Musk actually going to invest in Argentina? Or is he just inviting others to do so?
Argentina needs 100 Musks to invest. Musk may buy into an existing Lithium producing installation and increase production. Creating 20 new jobs.

Argentina needs it for sure. Milei did select a great minister of mines....

But really, how confident can you be at this stage that any Milei reform will remain in place five years out, ten years, out, fifteen?

Considering the timelines for major projects, I think it remains as a tough sell.

My introduction to Argentina was as a junior lawyer working on a big infrastucture project.. The project sponsors had all kind of protections passed by the federal government..... They start building, lo and behold, the provincial authorities crawl out of the woodwork with all kinds of crazy demands (I'll never forget this detail -- the sponsor had used the water cost paid by the local bottler in their cost model -- oh, nope). Was a great lesson (for many on the project) in Argentina federalism, but a costly and stressful one.

Who would you consider more dynamic at the moment? I understand he can be a polarizing figure with his political views

Tesla is far from being destroyed if cybertruck is successful or not. Ride sharing, Optimus, and their solar products have great potential for value creation in the future.

Hopefully future investment in Argentina is structured in a way that is both beneficial to the company and to Argentina.

That's a good question if he's actually going to invest or not? He could just be promoting it and has no plans himself.

Apparently foreign businesses that remained in Argentina are more interested in getting their money out and actually making a bit of money than piling new capital into a historically risky market.

Or at least that’s what’s happening in the oilfield sector from what I hear.

Apparently foreign businesses that remained in Argentina are more interested in getting their money out and actually making a bit of money than piling new capital into a historically risky market.

Or at least that’s what’s happening in the oilfield sector from what I hear.
That's not the drift of the article by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard (https://archive.ph/YHuX1) that I linked to earlier this morning but then anybody who has been reading A E-P for a while will know that he does have a tendency to plough his own furrow and he's certainly put up a few birds for the guns this morning. (Sorry/Not sorry about the mixed metaphors!)

Back