Anyone flown to Miami via Rio (GIG)?

lewitravel

Registered
I flying to Miami with TAM and have a 9 hour wait between flights at GIG. I'm looking to leave the transfer zone in the airport and spend a few hours in the city, then head back to the airport for the connector. Before you ask, the visa is not a problem, the question is about my luggage. Do you know if the luggage is handled by airlines themselves or do you have to pick it up like normal and then check in again?

The only time I transferred before was handled by Emirates and was only an hour between flights.

Appreciated anyone who can shed some light on this as the interweb has failed me so far!

So you are flying on TAM from BUE to GIG and then also on TAM to MIA? If that's the case, your bags should be checked all the way through to MIA.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to leave the airport if you're connecting, no matter how long the layover or your visa status. Friends of mine recently tried it and weren't allowed to leave.

Check it all the way through, otherwise you'll have unseen problems, especially if you have a lot of stuff. I have even found myself trying to negotiate 2 trolleys laden into small elevators between passenger liunges with a baby in one arm at Rio and or Sao Paulo. Forget it. and chill out, take a city tour or whatever.

Thanks for the replies. I will give TAM a call in the morning to find out if the baggage is checked all the way thru. Looking at booking a day pass for the AA lounge as we have just been bumped in Miami for our flight to New york the next day. Looks like it's good in multiple airports during one trip, so if we can't leave we can at least chill someplace.

Back