How much did your meal cost?

Another quick stop for lunch is Kiddo Burger in Cañitas-I just order to go so don't include a drink. They're smash patties so they offer single or double. I get the single 'Park' burger (cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and a mayo-based sauce) with seasoned french fries for 7,100 (plus tip). If you want to swap for a double patty and add beer add 3,000. I think it's above and beyond any McDonalds or Wendy's. Though Wendy's might be heartier patties. I like the equilibrium of meat to toppings I get here and supporting a local business, the service is tops and even with a line out the door and down the block they serve the food fast and fresh. No major seating here-they have a stand-up counter outside with a few seats at their diner-type counter in front of where they prepare the food. A good lunch that I don't feel sick after eating-like I do with the other chain burger joints.

I find lunch deals are where the real savings come in to play. As restaurants are competing and those hours aren't as busy as the dinner rush. Aldo's in Palermo Hollywood ( a rather nice little spot with a great wine list and ample seating in and outdoors) offers their rotating weekly lunch special. You can choose your own adventure here and opt for all three (app, entree and postre) for 15,000 and add a glass of wine for 3000. You can also opt for simply the entree for 8,500. Or choice of app OR postre plus your entree for 12,500. They update their menu weekly on their socials with photos included to get an idea of portion size. I included a photo of this week's menu to get a better idea.439848708_18437617534023333_2825052010596700152_n.jpg

Today in Palermo a flat white with vegetable milk and slice of cake ARS 7.000.

Yesterday, a high end sushi restaurant in a fancy area.. 2 persons with bottle of wine ARS 53.000+10% tip. Same restaurant for lunch during the week has executive meal 4 hand rolls or chirashi bowl with drink for ARS 14.000.

Last week lunch at Gardiner restaurant on the costinera (the one with what looks like a museum of Ferarri's and Porsches parked out front that strangely one never sees actually driving around the streets)... 3 persons, meat and fish dishes with premium bottle of wine and coffees after ARS 103.000+10% tip.

Kansas for 2 persons, mains + bloody marys + dessert about ARS 45.000+10% tip.

The week before tacos and some other food and beers at Juan Pedro Caballero on Thames for two persons ARS 40.000+10% tip.

Like anywhere, your final bill depends on what you want to order and can vary wildly based on that. The above prices competitive with what I have paid in recent weeks in Santiago de Chile or Sao Paulo at similar places and USD prices still lower/ similar to what I have paid in the past in the very same places at certain moments over the last decade or so - so nothing that raises my brow with these examples.

Only brow raisers have personally encountered in recent months have been at:
- Casa Lucia in Retiro... ARS 27.000 for a cocktail, but it's Casa Lucia and they also had cheaper options available starting from around ARS 8.000.
- A to-go pizza for like ARS 20.000 (o sea, way less value for money than a fancy sushi dinner with wine) and other overpriced "junk foods".

Not more irrelevant than the innumerable posts comparing Argentina and Thailand. Sick of them.....!
Those posts were in another thread. This thread is not about comparing/contrasting with any other country. Just about costs in BA. Maybe some of the comments here will give some guidance to people looking for better value-for-money in Buenos Aires, not Thailand or Dubai!

Those posts were in another thread. This thread is not about comparing/contrasting with any other country. Just about costs in BA. Maybe some of the comments here will give some guidance to people looking for better value-for-money in Buenos Aires, not Thailand or Dubai!

The costs in Buenos Aires for restaurants are completely overpriced and unjustified for the quality especially for low end meals . Dumplings ramen available for just a few dollars in Asia and even Australia is over 15 dollars in many restaurants in Buenos Aires . I went to a hole in the wall restaurant in Abasto the other day and we payed 70000 pesos for two for a very average meal of pollo a las brasas anticuchos and a small ceviche with a small bottle of wine . This same meal in a hole in the wall restaurant in Peru would be 25 dollars nearly three times less !

Yes. Things are changing in Argentina but not quite sure if that’s unfortunate! Definitely not a gringo pensioners’ paradise any more!

Today lunch at Los Romanceros in Palermo, Costa Rica and.
Huge bife de chorizo steak, shared for 2, with portion of fries and 1 chocolate mousse plus bottle of Alma mora. Total $40K . Two rounds of Champagne on the House...!
Excellent option

For lunch today we had a suprema caprese for two people, with pure de papa, very good and a good portion, plus 2 agua con gas. $12,800 plus tip. El Trébol, Gral Urquiza 606

(It's a new restaurant. The owner, Cristian, was previously the waiter at his father's restaurant. His father sold his restaurant and is now retired, but helping Cristian out.)

Back