I Was Denied Entry At Ezeiza

And you can't get in with a normal tourist visa? .

Isn't that precisely what he said has happened: that he was not granted a new 90 day visa and was denied entry?

It surprises me a bit that people live here without making a DNI, it just gets rid of all this passport nonsense.

"Making" a DNI isn't possible and "passport nonsense" is not the issue. The issue is not being able to qualify for residency (and then be granted a DNI) and living in Argentina (as well as leaving and returning) without one .

The plethora of stamps in a passport result from the actions of expats (perhaps pointlessly) trying to stay "legal" by getting new tourist visas every 90 days.

Having a DNI eliminates the need for the mental gymnastics, emotional turmoil, and unnecessary trips to Uruguay which are inherent in the life of a perma-tourist.

Smirkypants' problem did not arise from having too many stamps. The new decree apparently allow foreigners to leave Argentina without paying the overstay fee but also apparently makes it impossible for them to reenter and receive a new 90 day visa.

Isn't that precisely what he said has happened: that he was not granted a new 90 day visa and was denied entry?

"Making" a DNI isn't possible.

The "passport nonsense" is not the issue. The issue is not being able to qualify for residency (and then be granted a DNI).

The plethora of stamps in a passport result from the actions of expats (perhaps pointlessly) trying to stay "legal" by getting new tourist visas every 90 days.

Having a DNI eliminates the need for all of the

Smirkypants' problem did not arise from having too many stamps. The new decree apparently allow foreigners to leave Argentina without paying the overstay fee but also apparently makes it impossible for them to reenter and receive a new 90 day visa.

Oh ... so it was NOT overstaying the 90 days tourist visa.

Not paying overstay fine IS DIFFERENT from overstaying ... also ... DIFFERENT from Reciprocity fee.

We are still trying to guess exactly what happened ? Seems no one knows yet.

Sounds like smirkypants has issues that he is not sharing regarding exactly his status. If he overstayed , and did not pay the overstay fine , then he got what was coming. I have no sympathy. Get your act together , stay within the 90 days , get a stamp , or get a DNI .

If his stuff is worth more than another airfare , he can find a way.

As to the attitude , again no sympathy. Why should the consulate help him if he is in violation of Argentine law ? Chalk it up to experience. Try Venezuela.

Listen. I don't need judgment, I need someone to answer some simple questions and not be told "you should've done X." I was denied entry. They sent me back. I want to know if being denied entry implies anything permanent. Is it permanent? Is it for a year? Is it for a few months? Who decides? I want to know how/if I can get in while avoiding going through the residency procedure. I want to get in, get my stuff, and leave. Anyone have any advice on this?

Did they make any marks or notations in your passport or issue a deportation letter? You mention getting a new passport, did you just do this after you were denied entry? I don't have the answer to your questions but when I enter I have to show them my old passport with the reciprocity payment in it, and they sometimes make a notation in my new passport of the old passport #, so they may not be linked in their systems. If you have a new passport and you repay the reciprocity fee, you might be able to enter on that???

I would contact a lawyer specializing in immigration law before attempting to return or if you have any Argentine friends who have political connections I would see if they can help out.

If you give more details on your situation, maybe others can be of more help.

Oh ... so it was NOT overstaying the 90 days tourist visa.

Not paying overstay fine IS DIFFERENT from overstaying.

I think that is correct.

Many (if not almost all) "tourists" can overstay, pay the fee when leaving, and get a new 90 days visa when they return.

If they don't pay the fee when they leave, it's "adios" and NOT "nos vemos" (though they probably don't know it at the time).

The question yet to be answered is (with apologies to Mickey Spillane), "How long is the good-bye?"

Never get the full story. All we get is, "deported/denied entry" for no other reason than the official is having a bad day. Have a passport full of entry/exit stamps, am a commuter. My stays in Argentina are by the numbers, no overstays, no extensions, stay less than 180 days a year. One time when exiting the official took my passport and checked it out in an office somewhere. Eyebrows raised when she seen the number of stamps, something I would consider to be a normal reaction anywhere. The lady returned about ten minutes later and said " everything is OK, no problems." Am sure they audited my days and checked for overstays and total days in Argentina. Wish we could get something more about these deals. They ask for help/info from forum members, but when members ask for help/info, we get FU.

Never get the full story. All we get is, "deported/denied entry" for no other reason than the official is having a bad day. Have a passport full of entry/exit stamps, am a commuter. My stays in Argentina are by the numbers, no overstays, no extensions, stay less than 180 days a year. One time when exiting the official took my passport and checked it out in an office somewhere. Eyebrows raised when she seen the number of stamps, something I would consider to be a normal reaction anywhere. The lady returned about ten minutes later and said " everything is OK, no problems." Am sure they audited my days and checked for overstays and total days in Argentina. Wish we could get something more about these deals. They ask for help/info from forum members, but when members ask for help/info, we get FU.
Very well said, thanks for sharing your experience. For all these cases we seem to get a lack of information regarding their status, overstays, fines etc... Most likely deliberately left out to avoid taking any blame.

hmmm this makes me think of using my other passport next time... even though they say, 'your fingerprint is in the system'. Who knows.

Did he/she get denied for not having paid the overstay fee? this needs clarification. I heard that if you tell them you live here instead of playing dumb like you're actually a tourist then it's harder for them to fully deny you (worst they can do is give ultima prorroga) but this is just something I heard, haven't heard of an actual case. Last time they asked me at Aeroparque, "Venís como turista?" And I said "Sí." And that was that. (They asked where they was staying and I said, "at my boyfriend's place" - which is not untrue)

I have one overstay stamp from 2012 but otherwise have managed to visit Uruguay (not just the day trip but actual trips and weekends in Carmelo) or be going somewhere else at least every 3 months since then. I'm leaving in December and it's the first time I'll have stayed for 6 months straight since 2012 so today i went to migraciones to see if I could get this extension (would have been the first time I've ever gotten one from there). This is how the conversation went (translated):
-What do you do here?
-My partner is Argentine.
-How long have you been here?
-3 years.
-You need to 'ratificarte'. You can go to that other part of the building there and see what you need to do to qualify... study, have family, marry, etc.
-We are thinking of getting married but haven't done it yet.
-Well, that would work if you get married.
-But I'm leaving in 3 months so I want to get the renewal.
-No, don't waste your money. Just pay the fine when you leave. It's the same price. And when you come back, 'ratificarte'.
-But I'm worried that if I pay the fine and then come back they will reject me at the airport.
-No, don't worry, they won't reject you. Just ratificarte.

It was a very strange exchange with a young, pierced, punk-rockin' civil servant.

Sorry to high jack the thread but really didn't feel like starting another one and being berated by the critics.

hmmm this makes me think of using my other passport next time... even though they say, 'your fingerprint is in the system'. Who knows.

Did he/she get denied for not having paid the overstay fee? this needs clarification. I heard that if you tell them you live here instead of playing dumb like a tourist then it's harder for them to fully deny you (worst they can do is give ultima prorroga) but this is just something I heard, haven't heard of it happening. Last time they asked me at Aeroparque, "Venís como turista?" And I said "Sí." And that was that.

I have one overstay stamp from 2012 but otherwise have managed to visit Uruguay (not just the day trip but actual trips and weekends in Carmelo) or be going somewhere else at least every 3 months since then. I'm leaving in December and it's the first time I'll have stayed for 6 months straight since 2012 so today i went to migraciones to see if I could get this extension (would have been the first time I've ever gotten one from there). This is how the conversation went (translated):
-What do you do here?
-My partner is Argentina.
-How long have you been here?
-3 years.
-You need to 'ratificarte'. You can go to that other part of the building there and see what you need to do to qualify... study, have family, marry, etc.
-We are thinking of getting married but haven't done it yet.
-Well, that would work if you get married.
-But I'm leaving in 3 months so I want to get the renewal.
-No, don't waste your money. Just pay the fine when you leave. It's the same price. And when you come back, 'ratificarte'.
-But I'm worried that if I pay the fine and then come back they will reject me at the airport.
-No, don't worry, they won't reject you. Just ratificarte.

It was a very strange exchange with a young, pierced, punk-rockin' civil servant.

Sorry to high jack the thread but really didn't feel like starting another one and being berated by the critics.

Indeed, more often then not the cheapeast way out ends up costing a lot more later on.

Back