Who has left or is planning to leave?

As I said on an earlier post on this thread, the grass may look greener on the other lawn but it isn't.
The expression I remember most (that's probably still common in the USA) and that my mom (born in a farmhouses in Iowa in 1915) often told me when I was young was:

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

And I'll always remember the similar expression from the song from the 1960's (when I was a teenager), as sung by Petula Clark):

"The other man's grass is always greener.

There are no other "lawns" next to mine or even near my house. I can only see the "other side" (1.25 acres by itself) of my own lawn when I go behind the trees that separate it from the front half of the property.

The back half of the property (aka in this case the "other lawn") has almost no trees compared to the front, so the grass is exposed to much more sunlight, making it much greener

It would be even greener now if my neighbor's horse didn't graze it do so close to the surface for the past four months.

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_113649882.jpg
    IMG_20240429_113649882.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
The expression I remember most (that's probably still common in the USA) and that my mom (born in a farmhouses in Iowa in 1915) often told me when I was young was:

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."

And I'll always remember the similar expression from the song from the 1960's (when I was a teenager), as sung by Petula Clark):

"The other man's grass is always greener.

There are no other "lawns" next to mine or even near my house. I can only see the "other side" (1.25 acres by itself) of my own lawn when I go behind the trees that separate it from the front half of the property.

The back half of the property (aka in this case the "other lawn") has almost no trees compared to the front, so the grass is exposed to much more sunlight, making it much greener

It would be even greener now if my neighbor's horse didn't graze it do so close to the surface for the past four months.
But for you the grass really is greener in Argentina, no?

I have never been to Maui....how could it be as bad as Santa Marta?
My last trip to Maui was in the late 1990's. I always found it to be indistinguishable from Florida except that Maui had mountains and much, much higher prices.
I was in Sta Marta 2 years ago. We drove from one end to the other during our stay and never saw anything unpleasant. Good infrastructure, lots of shops with nice merchandise, clean streets, tidy beaches. Maybe a little crowded with backpackers headed for the park. A nice chill vibe, wherever we went people were relaxed and friendly.

But for you the grass really is greener in Argentina, no?
There is no other country I I would rather live in than Argentina and no other place in Argentina than the one I chose in 2010.

PS: For those who aren't aware the move entailed "full immersion" and I only speak Spanish with my friends and neighbors here.

PS2: This is the first time in my adult life that I've lived in a house with a lawn...not to mention enough trees that provide an endless supply of firewood

Last edited:
Lord Byron arrived much before many of this group: Young hearts, which languished for some sunny isle, Where summer years and summer women smile; Men without country, who, too long estranged, Had found no native home, or found it changed...

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not weather
Deep roots are not reached by frost

My last trip to Maui was in the late 1990's. I always found it to be indistinguishable from Florida except that Maui had mountains and much, much higher prices.
I was in Sta Marta 2 years ago. We drove from one end to the other during our stay and never saw anything unpleasant. Good infrastructure, lots of shops with nice merchandise, clean streets, tidy beaches. Maybe a little crowded with backpackers headed for the park. A nice chill vibe, wherever we went people were relaxed and friendly.
If you DRIVE through Gaza you might like it too.....I walked through, every day, Santa Marta for one entire year....stinky restaurants....one supermarket in Rodadero.....raunchiest (being polite) beach crowd....the vendadores on the beach total pests and of course hot like hell.

If you DRIVE through Gaza you might like it too.....I walked through, every day, Santa Marta for one entire year....stinky restaurants....one supermarket in Rodadero.....raunchiest (being polite) beach crowd....the vendadores on the beach total pests and of course hot like hell.
This is definitely a taste issue. Apart from Tayrona and Minca, which I am not sure how often you can go, this area doesn't offer much (to me), and certainly is a world apart from a cosmopolitan city like BA. I guess the water is clearer than Cartagena, that is true.

I'd actually sooner live in Barranquilla (than Santa Marta).

This is definitely a taste issue. Apart from Tayrona and Minca, which I am not sure how often you can go, this area doesn't offer much (to me), and certainly is a world apart from a cosmopolitan city like BA. I guess the water is clearer than Cartagena, that is true.

I'd actually sooner live in Barranquilla (than Santa Marta).
There isn't a person in Buenos Aires who has heard of Tayrona or Minca. The people in Minca haven't heard of Minca. And Barranquilla....if God wanted to stick an enema in a really hot sweaty city...yep....you guessed it.......

Back