Western Union money transfer

For 11 years I have been using Westernunion.com/us to transfer dollars from our bank account in the US to my husband here in BA. Now I want to do the same except transfer to myself. The transaction keeps getting stuck and they tell me to change my manner of payment. I called them and they say, since I am in Argentina, I need to use the westernunion.com/ar site. Makes me a little scared to do that, for some reason. Any advice? I am beginning to get worried about getting money here from my US account.

You can't use the Argentine WU website to send money to yourself or anyone else from the US. That site is only if you want to send money from Argentina. I don't know why it would be telling you to change your manner of payment.

For 11 years I have been using Westernunion.com/us to transfer dollars from our bank account in the US to my husband here in BA. Now I want to do the same except transfer to myself. The transaction keeps getting stuck and they tell me to change my manner of payment. I called them and they say, since I am in Argentina, I need to use the westernunion.com/ar site. Makes me a little scared to do that, for some reason. Any advice? I am beginning to get worried about getting money here from my US account.
WU seems not to like people sending money to themselves, though you will never get a straight answer from them. If your bank accounts here and in the US are in your own name, you have alternatives, you can search for "Balanz" or "Inviu" in the forum for one way (there are others) to bring funds in here. Just note that funds coming in this way will be visible to AFIP.

When I started sending money to my bank account here with WU, I couldn't get it to work, and WU was useless. Just for the heck of it, I tried to send to myself for pickup at a WU office, and it worked, and after that, I could send money to my bank account without a problem.

It's worth a try.

I haf.no.problem sending myself $700 USD today using the US website (as always). The funds were credited to my Santander Rio accout at about 5:30 pm.

I have been sending money to myself since this thread first alerted to an advantageous WU rate in 2019. At first I picked up the money in BA and then I started sending it from my bank account in the US to my bank account in Argentina. All this done through the WU website. I've never had a problem. From time to time I have also sent money to friends in Argentina and other parts of the world and that hasn't been a problem either, regardless of whether it was for cash pick up or going to a bank account. I have never tried to send it to my wife though.

When I am in the US I use the WU app on my mother's phone to set up the transfer, but I pay cash in WU location like a supermarket, even though I still send it to my Arg bank account. I use the app and pay in store in the US because it's much cheaper, only 8 dollars in commission per 1000 dollars sent, as apposed to 46 dollars in commission for a bank to bank transfer. I can't set up via the website the pay in store to bank account option; the website won't let me.

I have only Arg cell service even when I'm in the US, so I can't use the WU app on my phone because that's only for sending money from Argentina.

Last edited:
Back