Western Union money transfer

My wife has been able to send me and our Arg bank account money through the app and by just walking into a WU location and giving them the info. Of course, all this while in the US.

Last edited:
I have only Arg cell service even when I'm in the US, so I can't use the WU app on my phone because that's only for sending money from Argentina.
Which cell sevice you have doesn't matter. You just need to download the US WU app on your phone.

To do this you just have to change the country of your play store/app store.

You can't use the Argentine WU website to send money to yourself or anyone else from the US. That site is only if you want to send money from Argentina. I don't know why it would be telling you to change your manner of payment.
Thanks. I knew it didn't sound like the right solution.

I haf.no.problem sending myself $700 USD today using the US website (as always). The funds were credited to my Santander Rio accout at about 5:30 pm.
So strange. They suggested in Western Union tech support on the phone that I could resolve everything by going to a WU office. Went to the office in Caballito today. Totally no help and no information. Just "no".

I never use my bank account to pay Western Union; I always use my credit card to pay so that I can collect airline miles at the same time. 😂

I'm visiting another province and left my passport in Buenos Aires. Does Western Union accept U.S. drivers license as a valid form of identification or does it have to be a passport?

I'm visiting another province and left my passport in Buenos Aires. Does Western Union accept U.S. drivers license as a valid form of identification or does it have to be a passport?
If you have a copy of your passport they might accept it together with your driver's license. Just a speculation on my part. They usually make a copy of your passport the first time you are there and keep the copy.

Does anyone have experience with using the WU Netspend pre-paid Mastercard? It would seem that linking PayPal to the Netspend Card would be an efficient way to transfer funds from PayPal/US to WU CABA.

Does anyone have experience with using the WU Netspend pre-paid Mastercard? It would seem that linking PayPal to the Netspend Card would be an efficient way to transfer funds from PayPal/US to WU CABA.
That is a USA prepaid card. One of the many you have to choose from. Perhaps advantage for you when residing in USA, though really it is a scam against people who do not qualify for regular banking in USA. Which is basically the entire WU business model.

Plus a big NO advantage here in Argentina. 4% international transactions surcharge.

If you have a DNI then get Ualá or Brubank or other Argentina debit card to transfer WU and other international transfers.

Last edited:
Back