Fed Up With The Usa; They Chose Chile

I've been to Chile and I can speak from experience: the meat sucks (and most other food besides the sushi but you can't live on expensive sushi every day) and the city is more car-friendly than pedestrian friendly. The people have a weird vibe and the pollution is THE WORST I have seen in any city I've been (in 39 countries). I'll take bad economic policy any day to living like that!

I've been to Chile and I can speak from experience: the meat sucks (and most other food besides the sushi but you can't live on expensive sushi every day) and the city is more car-friendly than pedestrian friendly. The people have a weird vibe and the pollution is THE WORST I have seen in any city I've been (in 39 countries). I'll take bad economic policy any day to living like that!
I lived in Chile before coming to Argentina and prefer the quality of life here - no question. But the author of that article seems like a good fit for Chile.

Chile is a much better place for Pescetarians than Argentina.

Chilean-Salmon.jpg

Faithful to their "principles," her acolytes do not hesitate to scam each other: http://tinyurl.com/nntbb8y

There are two kinds of Pottertarians: the scammers and the gullible.

I have been asked (in another website forum) why I decided to "Go Galt" in Argentina.

I replied that I was inspired by Glenn Beck's urging to "buy land and grow your own food" even more than anything Ayn Rand wrote, but I did have the exp<b></b>ression "Going Galt" in mind when I made the move.

I am not trying to start a "gulch" or an expat enclave, either. During a crisis when those who live in nearby cities (including Bahia Blanca) might be rioting and looting, a concentration of (comparatively) wealthy expats would be sitting ducks for the looters. My idea was to blend into a small community and become relatively invisible, aka assimilate. Everyone here knows I'm a foreigner, but I don't look or act wealthy (my 20 year old Peugeot reinforces this image).

I would be happy to find one individual or couple who is interesting in building a home on the 2500 square meter lot next to mine. They do not have to be rich. Even if they are, the most important question is, "Which would you rather have when the inevitable happens, a lot of worthless paper money or a reasonably safe place to live with neighbors who also have gardens and livestock?"

While there are a number of small shops in the nearby village, they are unlikely to ever be the target of random mobs from the city. The Argentines who live in the village don't break into each other's homes or shops. The best thing about the locals is that they are very friendly and have welcomed me warmly. They also leave me alone.

PS: I am getting ready to convert an outbuilding into an "estancia style" guest house that my future neighbor(s) can occupy while their house is being built. Underground "bunkers" are not necessary here.

The best thing about the locals is that they are very friendly and have welcomed me warmly. They also leave me alone.

It's no surprise that the locals would keep their distance. They can't risk losing the little they've got and, being Argentines, they're alert to scammers.

It's no surprise that the locals would keep their distance. They can't risk losing the little they've got and, being Argentines, they're alert to scammers.

I would never sell the lot next to my house to a local. There are just barely distant enough as it is (geographically speaking).

You do know what geography is, don't you?

Back