Advice On Buying A Gun

You don't even need to go that far to look for examples. it happened in Argentina, not that far back. While Americans were watching Saturday Night Fever in the theaters, the government of Argentina was rounding up thousands of people to be tortured and then killed. Many died very gruesome and painful deaths. And they had nothing to fight back with. Nothing.

When choosing a caliber of gun , you should consider the cost of the ammo. Also the availability in Argentina. Because you will need to practice at the range.

The Bersa is a decent gun. As far as .380 caliber , if you are a good shot , you can stop anyone with a well place shot.

If you will not take the time to practice with the pistol , get the shotgun. Even grandma could hit the broad side of the barn.

I suggest that you check into this Brazilian beauty. If you wander into my house uninvited you will be introduced to the Judge http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=Pistol

You don't even need to go that far to look for examples. it happened in Argentina, not that far back. While Americans were watching Saturday Night Fever in the theaters, the government of Argentina was rounding up thousands of people to be tortured and then killed. Many died very gruesome and painful deaths. And they had nothing to fight back with. Nothing.

Well, yeah, the Montoneros and ERP had nothing to fight back with. Oh, wait...

Thanks for all the feedback and info. What I was not asking for, is advice on whether to get a gun or not. I have taken a lot of time analyzing the specific factors here and considering the alternatives before making my decision. If you come to a different decision for yourself - good for you!

The house we live in has a lot of corners and various smaller rooms. So shooting distance is less a priority than quick aiming. I had used guns professionally in the past (mostly 9 mm and 7.62 mm) and consider myself a good shot. With the new gun I plan on going to the shooting range regularly - I personally think practicing once or twice is not enough. I have absolutely no experience with shotguns, though. What models that are available in Argentina would you recommend? Quick aiming an issue? What is their price tag? FYI the Bersa was around 5500 while the Glock guns that I saw started at around 9000.

Thanks for all the feedback and info. What I was not asking for, is advice on whether to get a gun or not. I have taken a lot of time analyzing the specific factors here and considering the alternatives before making my decision. If you come to a different decision for yourself - good for you!

So long as you're aware that having a gun in the house dramatically increases your own odds of injury or death by gunshot, OK I guess.

While many of my neighbors have guns I am not aware of any gunshot accidents they had. Robbers shot an unarmed pregnant women in her arm a few houses down the road, though.

This is probably bad advice but I'm going to throw it out there and hope someone with more legal knowledge will comment on it. A friend once admitted they keep a gun hidden in their house for self defense, but they didn't say if it was registered or not. I asked them if it wasn't, what was the logic behind that. He explained, and I think Bajo_Cero once said something similar, that if an intruder comes into your house you can shoot him if he shoots first and you're guilty depending on what time of day, and if he shoots first or if you do. It's a complicated law and I haven't read it. The point is, it's not like Texas where can own and carry a gun and if someone trespasses on your property and threatens you, you're have the legal right to defend yourself. Not so in Buenos Aires, the land of the Bermuda Triangle, where people choose not to work and get paid and thieves are rewarded sometimes with subsidies upon being released from prison. Back to the story. My friend said that it's more convenient to have an unregistered gun in your house in case you do have to shoot an intruder that enters your house because then you can claim that the gun you used was the intruder's, not your own.

Back